FUNCTIONS AND TASKS OF THE NATIONAL LIBRARY
Pursuant to the Public Libraries Act, promulgated in the State Gazette No 42 of 5 June 2009, section II, Article 12-18,the St. St. Cyril and Methodius National Library performs the following tasks:
Article 12 (1) The National Library performs the functions of collecting, processing, organising, preserving and providing to Bulgarian and foreign citizens printed and other publications, issued on the territory of the country.
(2) The functions under Paragraph 1 are essential for the National Library.
Article 13 (1) The National Library maintains the following main library collections:
1. unique collections of Bulgarian, Slavic, Oriental and other foreign language manuscripts, archival documents, rare, valuable and old-printed books;
2. collections of special editions (official editions, maps and graphic publications, music publications and others);
3. collection of printed and other works of Bulgarian literature under the Law on mandatory deposit of printed and other publications (Archive of the Bulgarian Book);
4. representative collection of foreign literature in every area of knowledge;
5. collection of publications, published abroad in Bulgarian language or publications related to Bulgaria, as well as translated works by Bulgarian authors published abroad (Bulgarica collection).
(2) For collections containing cultural goods the requirements of the Cultural Heritage Act shall apply.
Article 14 The National Library provides access to:
1. its collections and databases as well as to the collections and databases of other libraries via interlibrary loan of Bulgarian and foreign citizens;
2. information about its holdings and the library holdings of other libraries in the country and abroad by maintaining and using catalogues and databases
Article 15 (1) The National Library creates the Bulgarian national bibliography by doing the following:
1. Creates the bibliographic recordsof the mandatory copies deposited in accordance with the Law on the Mandatory Deposit of Printed and Other Publications and provides them for use to libraries, other institutions and citizens in the country and abroad;
2. provides the National Statistical Institute with statistics for the publishing production in the country;
3. cooperate with international news publications and databases by providing bibliographic information.
(2) The National Library publishes and communicates the national bibliography under Paragraph 1.
Article16 (1) The National Library performs the following activities:
1. restoration and preservation of Bulgarian, Slavic, Oriental and other foreign language manuscripts, archival documents, rare, valuable and old-printed publications, which are considered cultural goodsand national treasures;
2. scientific and applied research in the field of library studies, bibliography, book science, archives, restoration and preservation of book materials and published scientific and applied research literature.
(2) The activities under Paragraph 1, Item 1, shall be carried out under the terms and provisions of the Cultural Heritage Act.
Article 17 The National Library as the national representative of the agencies assigning International Standard Book Number to books, periodicals and other types of documents assigns the International Standard Book Number to the Bulgarian editions.
Article 18 The National Library may also perform the following activities:
1. coordinates the development of the automated information network of the public libraries;
2. provides consultancy and expert assistance to libraries, other institutions and citizens;
3. participates in international organisations and performs international activities related to the library studies;
4. develops and participates in national and international projects and programmes;
5. organises and performs cultural, educational and information initiatives and events;
6. coordinates the search and bibliography preparation of the handwritten documentary heritage on the territory of the country.
In addition to the above mentioned tasks within the National Network of Public Libraries (Chapter 3) the National Library performs the following functions:
Article 42 (1) Within the National Network of Public Libraries the National Library performs nationwide functions, related to the collection and preservation of the national literary and cultural heritage, providing access to it by performing the following activities:
1. creates, distributes and provides bibliographic data of national importance;
2. performs the functions of a central laboratory for restoration and conservation activities;
3. performs expert assessment on and exercises control over conservation projects;
4. coordinates the libraries activities related to the heritage protection;
5. provides expertise and advice on matters of heritage protection;
6. performs the functions of a national information center,responsible for the elaboration of unionlist records of handwritten materials and literary heritage and the retrospective national bibliography.
(2) The National Library is the national centre of the Automated Information Network of the public libraries.
(3) The National Library performs the functions of a national statistics centreof the branch libraries in the country.
(4) The information gathered during performance of the functions under Paragraph 3 shall be submitted to the Minister of Culture.
(5) The National Library shall perform the functions referred to in Paragraph 1, pursuant to the requirements of the Cultural Heritage Act.